Weiss, Markus, Dr.
Dr. Markus Weiss
Information Management and Institute for Pervasive Computing
Phone: +41 44 632 8054
Fax: +41 44 632 1704
Markus Weiss received his diploma in Computer Science from the University of Würzburg, Germany in February 2008. During his studies he worked as student assistant for the Distributed Systems Group of the University of Würzburg. In 2005 he received a one year scholarship for his graduate studies at the University of Texas at Austin, USA. There he focused on networks and security issues. His diploma thesis was based on a project cooperation with Datev EG Germany and dealt with the perfomance analysis of different thin-client architectures. From March 2008 on, he is a PhD candidate at the Institute of Pervasive Computing at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (ETH Zurich), Switzerland and works as a senior researcher at the BitsToEnergy Lab. In addition, he is a visiting scholar at the Engineering Systems Division and the Energy Initiative at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge, USA since February 2011.
Supervised Theses and Lab Projects:
- PowerPedia 2.0 - A Collaborative Web Application for Electrical Appliances , Joana Welti
- eMeter - Integrating submeters to individually monitor appliances, Manuel Kläy
- Engagement Strategies to Foster User Involvement in Energy Conservation, Sandro Antoniol
- Embedded Electricity Metering - A restful embedded smart meter gateway, David Abdurachmanov
- Social Smart Meter, Ozan Kaya, Burak Kalayb
- ETH - Energy Dashboard, Marc Gschwend
- eMeter - Engagement Strategies, Fabian Aggeler
- Towards a PowerPedia, Adrian Merkle
- Smart Energy Detection, Adrian Helferstein
- Smart Meter - TV Client, Ganesh Ramanathan
- Personalized Energy Measurements, Wolf Roediger
- Further information about open master's theses and semester projects can be found here.
- How Ubicomp Can Help in Residential Energy Management. Invited talk at EcoSense 2012, Aarhus, Denmark, 6th February 2012.
- Leveraging residential energy management through the Internet-of-Things. Invited talk at ESF Exploratory Workshop on The Internet of Things for a Sustainable Future, Vielsalm, Belgium, 10th May 2011 .
- Automated appliance sensing based on a smart meter infrastructure. Invited talk at ESRG Research Meeting, Cambridge, USA, 13th April 2011 .
- Consumer-oriented energy consumption feedback and new services in the smart grid on top of smart metering infrastructure. Invited talk at Offis, Oldenburg, Germany, November 17th 2010. PDF
- Implementation experiences – Prepare for you smart home deployment. Opening remarks from the chairman, Metering Europe 2010 (SmartHomes2010 Track), Vienna, Austria, 22nd September 2010. PDF
- Creating User Awareness: Changing Energy Usage with the Help of a Smart Energy System that Fits Customer Needs. Invited talk at CONET Summer School 2010 Schloss Dagstuhl: Act-Control-Move - Beyond Networked Sensors, Dagstuhl, Germany, August 17th 2010.PDF
- Handy feedback - Increasing energy transparency at home. Invited talk at VTT, Bregenz, Austria, 19th January 2010. PDF
- EPC meets energy efficiency - Empowering the Citizen by increasing transparency. Invited talk at the EPCglobal European Adoption Programme (EAP), Budapest, Hungary, 11th June 2009. PDF
- Leveraging smart meter data to recognize home appliances, Markus Weiss, Adrian Helfenstein, Friedemann Mattern, Thorsten Staake, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom 2012). Lugano, Switzerland, March 2012. [PDF]
- PowerPedia - Changing Energy Usage with the Help of a Smartphone Application, Markus Weiss, Thorsten Staake, Friedemann Mattern, Elgar Fleisch, Journal of Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Springer, 2012. [PDF]
- Smart Residential Energy Systems – How Pervasive Computing can be used to conserve energy, Markus Weiss and Willhelm Kleiminger, Proceedings of Smart Energy Strategies Conference 2011, Zurich, Switzerland, September 2011. [PDF]
- Leveraging residential energy management through the Internet of Things, Markus Weiss, ESF Exploratory Workshop on The Internet of Things for a Sustainable Future, Vielsalm, Belgium, May 2011 [PDF].
- Opportunistic Sensing for Smart Heating Control in Private Households, Wilhelm Kleiminger, Silvia Santini, and Markus Weiss, Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Networks of Cooperating Objects (CONET 2011), Chicago, USA, April 2011 [PDF].
- Risk and loss prevention within the transport chain, Alexander Skorna, Christoph Bode, and Markus Weiss, Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Management of Technology, Miami, USA, April 2011 [PDF].
- Residential electricity disaggregation – Tailored consumption feedback in smart grids, Markus Weiss, Thorsten Staake, Friedemann Mattern, Elgar Fleisch, and Richard Larson, Proceedings of the 7th Carnegie Mellon Electricity Industry Conference, Pittsburgh, USA, March 2011 [PDF].
- Leveraging Smart Meter Information Through Automated Appliance Sensing, Markus Weiss, Thorsten Staake, Friedemann Mattern, and Richard Larson, MIT Energy Conference 2011, Boston, USA, March 2011 [PDF].
- Evaluating Mobile Phones as Energy Consumption Feedback Devices, Markus Weiss, Claire-Michelle Loock, Thorsten Staake, Friedemann Mattern, and Elgar Fleisch, Proceedings of Mobiquitous2010 (7th International ICST Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems), Sydney, Australia, December 2010 [PDF].
- Increasing Energy Awareness Through Web-enabled Power Outlets, Markus Weiss and Dominique Guinard, Proceedings of MUM 2010 (9th ACM SIGMOBILE Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia), Limassol, Zyprus, December 2010 [PDF].
- PowerPedia – A smartphone application for community-based electricity consumption feedback, Markus Weiss, Thorsten Staake, Elgar Fleisch, and Friedemann Mattern, Proceedings of Smartphone 2010, Gwangju, South Korea, December 2010.
- Forschungsfragen im "Internet der Energie", Hans-Jürgen Appelrath, Frank Behrendt, Kristina Bognar, Friedemann Mattern, Christoph Mayer, Markus Weiss, acatech – Deutsche Akademie der Technikwissenschaften, December 2010 [PDF].
- eMeter: Stromverbrauchsfeedback auf Basis eines Pervasive Energy Monitoring Systems, Markus Weiss, Proceedings of Energieinformatik, Oldenburg, Germany, November 2010 [PDF].
- Towards a PowerPedia – A collaborative energy encyclopedia, Markus Weiss, Adrian Merkle, Thorsten Staake, and Elgar Fleisch, Proceedings of UCSE2010 Workshop at Ubicomp 2010 (1st Workshop on Ubiquitous Computing for Sustainable Energy), Copenhagen, Denmark, September, 2010 [PDF].
- Embedding Internet Technology for Home Automation, Matthias Kovatsch, Markus Weiss, Dominique Guinard, Proceedings of ETFA 2010, Bilbao, Spain, September 2010 [PDF].
- My home is my castle - claims prevention within the home insurance sector, A. Skorna, S. von Watzdorf, A. Bereuter, M. Weiss, Society for Risk Analysis, Conference 2010 Annual Meeting, SRA 2010, London, June 2010.
- ICT for Green - How Computers Can Help Us to Conserve Energy!, Friedemann Mattern, Thorsten Staake, and Markus Weiss, Proceedings of e-Energy 2010. Passau, Germany, April 2010 [PDF].
- Handy feedback: Connecting smart meters with mobile phones, Markus Weiss, Tobias Graml, Thorsten Staake, Friedemann Mattern, Elgar Fleisch. Proceedings of MUM 2009 (8th ACM SIGMOBILE Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia), Cambridge, UK, November 2009 [PDF].
- eMeter: Handy energy feedback, Markus Weiss, Poster at ETH/SAP press conference. Zurich, Switzerland, October 2009 [PDF].
- Smart Metering & Energie-Effizienz-Services, Tobias Graml, Markus Weiß, Thorsten Staake, Elgar Fleisch, Management Guide für Schweizer Energieversorgungsunternehmen, Hrsg. Friedli, Walti, 2010.
- eMeter: An interactive energy monitor, Markus Weiss, Dominique Guinard, Thorsten Staake, and Wolf Roediger, Adjunct Proceedings of Ubicomp 2009 (11th International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing). Orlando, Florida, USA, September 2009 [PDF].
- eMeter: Motivating people to conserve energy, Markus Weiss, Poster at CleanTech Day. Zurich, Switzerland, August 2009 [PDF].
- Are you Energy-Efficient? Sense it on the Web!, Dominique Guinard, Markus Weiss, and Vlad Trifa, Adjunct Proceedings of Pervasive 2009 (7th International Conference on Pervasive Computing). Nara, Japan, May 2009 [PDF].
- Barbara Emmert, Andreas Binzenhöfer, Daniel Schlosser, and Markus Weiss. Source Traffic Characterization for Thin Client Based Office Applications, 13th EUNICE Open European Summer School and IFIP TC6.6 Workshop on Dependable and Adaptable Networks and Services, University of Twente, the Netherlands, July 2007.
Bits to Energy Lab
The Bits to Energy Lab is a joint research initiative of ETH Zurich (Chair of Information Management, D-MTEC & Distributed Systems Group, Institute for Pervasive Computing) together with the University of St. Gallen (Institute of Technology Management). The Lab is dedicated to investigating the potential benefits of Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp) technologies for a sustainable development. The goal is to enable a more rational use of energy and to make resource consumption more transparent to companies and consumers.
The Auto-ID Labs are the leading global network of academic research laboratories in the field of networked RFID. The labs comprise seven of the world's most renowned research universities located on four different continents.
MIT Engineering Systems Division
ESD aims to solve complex engineering systems problems by integrating approaches based on engineering, management, and social sciences—using new framing and modeling methodologies. ESD seeks to facilitate the beneficial application of engineering systems principles and properties by expanding the set of problems addressed by engineers, and to position its graduates as leaders in tackling society’s challenges.
MIT Energy Initiative
The MIT Energy Initiative (MITEI), established in September 2006, is an Institute-wide initiative designed to help transform the global energy system to meet the needs of the future and to help build a bridge to that future by improving today's energy systems.
- Smart Homes/Metering Europe 2010, 2011 (Chair, Steering Committee)
- Journal of Industrial Ecology (Reviewer)
- Energiesysteme 2011, Berlin, Germany, July 2011 (Reviewer)
- MIT Energy Conference 2011 (Organizer)
- IEEE Computer Magazine (Reviewer)
- CONET Summer School 2010 Schloss Dagstuhl: Act-Control-Move - Beyond Networked Sensors, Dagstuhl, Germany, August 2010 (Organizer)
- Internet of Things 2010, Tokyo, Japan, November 2010 (Reviewer)
- Informatik für die Energiesysteme der Zukunft 2010, Leipzig, Germany, July 2010 (Reviewer)
- Pervasive 2010, Helsinki, Finland, May 2010 (Reviewer)