WEV G 222.2
Phone: +41 44 632 42 22
Fax: +41 44 632 17 40
Stephan Karpischek has been a researcher and PhD candidate at the Auto-ID Labs St. Gallen and ETH Zürich since October 2008. He has also been a visiting researcher at the Auto-ID Labs at MIT in Cambridge and Keio University in Tokyo. Before he worked as Internet technology consultant, teacher, and web developer.
Stephan graduated from the University of Arts Berlin with a diploma in Electronic Business. He has more than ten years experience in software development and project management.
- Mobile Information Systems for the Internet of Things
- Mobile applications for consumers in retail
- Product master data quality
- S. Karpischek, D. Santani, F. Michahelles, Usage Analysis of a Mobile Bargain Finder Application. 13th International Conference on Electronic Commerce and Web Technologies (EC-Web 2012), 3 - 7 September 2012, Vienna, Austria.
- S. Karpischek, F. Michahelles, E. Fleisch, The Not So Unique Global Trade Identification Number - Product master data quality in publicly available sources (Extended Abstract). 14th International Conference on Electronic Commerce (ICEC'12), 7 - 8 August 2012, Singapore, Singapore.
- S. Karpischek, G. Gilad, F. Michahelles, Towards a Better Understanding of Mobile Shopping Assistants - A large scale usage analysis of a mobile bargain finder application. Second Workshop on Research in the Large; Using App Stores, Wide Distribution Channels & Big Data in UbiComp Research (Research in the Large 2) at Ubicomp 2011, 18 September 2011, Beijing, China.
- S. Karpischek, F. Michahelles, E. Fleisch, The not so Unique Global Trade Identification Number – Exploring Inconsistencies in Online Product Information Sources, 7th European Workshop on Smart Objects: Systems, Technologies and Applications (RFID-SysTech 2011), 17 - 18 May 2011, Dresden, Germany.
- S. Karpischek, F. Michahelles, E. Fleisch, my2cents – enabling research on consumer-product interaction. Journal of Personal and Ubiquitous Computing. Springer, 2011, [doi:10.1007/s00779-011-0426-9].
- S. Karpischek, F. Michahelles, E. Fleisch, my2cents - a Twitter for products, The 2010 International Workshop on Smartphone Applications and Services (Smartphone 2010), 9 - 11 December 2010, Gwangju, Korea (Best Paper Award).
- S. Karpischek, F. Michahelles, my2cents - Digitizing consumer opinions and comments about retail products, Internet of Things 2010 Conference (IoT2010), 29 November - 1 December 2010, Tokyo, Japan.
- F. von Reischach, S. Karpischek, R. Adelmann, F. Michahelles, Evaluation of 1D barcode scanning on mobile phones, Internet of Things 2010 Conference (IoT2010), 29 November - 1 December 2010, Tokyo, Japan.
- F. Michahelles, S. Karpischek, A. Schmidt, What Can the Internet of Things Do for the Citizen?, Workshop at Pervasive 2010. IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 102-104, Oct.-Dec. 2010, [doi:10.1109/MPRV.2010.88].
- S. Karpischek, A. Rau, F. Michahelles, my2cents - sharing comments about retail products on Twitter, Poster at the Eighth International Conference on Pervasive Computing (Pervasive 2010), 17 - 20 May 2010, Helsinki, Finland (Best poster award).
- I. Pletikosa Cvijikj, G. Cetin, S. Karpischek and F. Michahelles, Facebook Influence on Purchase Decision Making, What can the Internet of Things do for the Citizen (CIoT) Workshop at The Eighth International Conference on Pervasive Computing (Pervasive 2010), 17 -20 May 2010, Helsinki, Finland.
- A. Skorna, S. Karpischek, S. von Watzdorf, A. Bereuter, Prozessüberwachung und -kontrolle im Facility Management am Beispiel der NFC-basierten Sprinklerwartung. In Technologien, Anwendungen und Dienste zur Unterstützung von mobiler Kollaboration, pp. 181 - 187, 5. Konferenz Mobile und Ubiquitäre Informationssysteme (MMS2010), 24 February 2010, Göttingen, Deutschland [PDF].
- S. Karpischek, C. Marforio, M. Godenzi, S. Heuel, F. Michahelles, Mobile augmented reality to identify mountains, In Adjunct Proceedings of the 3rd European Conference on Ambient Intelligence (AmI-09), 18 - 21 November 2009, Salzburg, Austria.
- S. Karpischek, C. Marforio, M. Godenzi, S. Heuel, F. Michahelles, SwissPeaks - Mobile augmented reality to identify mountains, Let's Go Out: Research in Outdoor Mixed and Augmented Reality. Workshop at the International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality 2009 (ISMAR 2009), 19 October 2009, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- S. Karpischek, F. Magagna, F. Michahelles, J. Sutanto, E. Fleisch, Towards location-aware mobile web browsers, 8th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Mulitimedia (MUM 2009), 22 - 25 November 2009, Cambridge, UK.
- S. Karpischek, F. Michahelles, A. Bereuter, E. Fleisch, A Maintenance System based on Near Field Communication, Third International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies (NGMAST 2009), 15 -18 September 2009, Cardiff, Wales, UK.
- S. Karpischek, F. Resatsch, F. Michahelles, E. Fleisch, Mobile Sales Assistant - An NFC-based product information system for retailers, 1st International Workshop on Near Field Communication (NFC'09), 24 - 26 February 2009, Hagenberg, Austria.
- F. Resatsch, S. Karpischek, U. Sandner, S. Hamacher, Mobile sales assistant: NFC for retailers, In Proceedings of the 9th international conference on Human computer interaction with mobile devices and services (MobileHCI 2007), pp. 313-316, 9 - 12 September 2007, Singapore.
- F. Resatsch, S. Karpischek, D. Michelis, Mobile Prosumer, Near Field Interactions Workshop at NordiCHI 2006, 14 - 15 October 2006, Oslo.
- The quality of product names in Google's Search API for Shopping. Google Tech Talk, Zürich, 10 December 2012.
- The not so unique GTIN - Measuring the quality of product master data. 7th Competence Center Corporate Data Quality (CC CDQ3) Workshop, Berlin, 17 February 2012.
- The not so unique GTIN - Evaluating the quality of online product information. 6. GS1 Forum CommID, Bern, 14 September 2011.
- my2cents, share your opinion on products, Android and iPhone, April 2010.
- codecheck, check products online, Android, March 2010.
- SwissPeaks and WorldPeaks, Mobile augmented reality to identify mountains, iPhone, November 2009.
Auto-ID Labs ETH Zurich / St. Gallen
The Auto-ID Labs are the leading global network of academic research laboratories in the field of networked RFID. The labs comprise seven of the world's most renowned research universities located on four different continents.
Smart Products is a three year research project funded by the European Commission. The goal is to embed proactive knowledge into products to make them communicate with humans.
GS1 Product Attribute Service
The Product Attribute Service (PAS) is a webservice for authoritative product information. The prototype is developed in a project together with Auto-ID Labs at MIT.
- Mobile Shopping Assistant Usage Analysis - Analysis of Comparis SmartShopper iPhone application, Master Thesis, Gilad Geron, 2011
- Increasing the Usage of SharePoint Collaboration Platform, Master Thesis, Sara Khalatbari, 2011
- Design of a Product Repository on Facebook, Diploma Thesis, Gökmen Çetin, 2010
- Réseaux Sociaux Géo-Localisés sur Téléphone Mobile, Bachelor Thesis, Goshgar Gasimov, 2009
- NFC 2013, 5th International Workshop on Near Field Communication, publication chair
- Mobiquitous 2012, 9th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking and Services, program committee
- IoT 2012, 3rd International Conference on the Internet of Things, program committee
- Mobiquitous 2011, 8th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking and Services, program committee
- CIoT 2010, What Can the Internet of Things Do for the Citizen? Workshop at Pervasive 2010, co-organizer
- IoT 2010, 2nd International Conference on the Internet of Things, publicity co-chair, program committee
- NFC Congress 2009, session chair
- ACM Computer, reviewer
- IEEE Internet Computing, reviewer
- IEEE Pervasive Computing, reviewer
- Pervasive and Mobile Computing Journal, reviewer
- International Journal for RF Technologies: Research and Applications, reviewer
- Ubicomp 2012, reviewer
- Pervasive 2012, reviewer
- Smartsystech 2012, reviewer
- Ubicomp 2011, reviewer
- MobileHCI 2011, reviewer
- WoT 2011, reviewer
- NFC2011, reviewer
- Pervasive 2010, reviewer
- RFID 2009, reviewer
- MobileHCI 2009, reviewer