Chair of Information Management
MIT, 5 Cambridge Center, NE25-792,
MA 02142 Cambridge
I am a doctoral student at the Chair of Information Management of ETH Zurich under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Elgar Fleisch, Prof. Dr. Frédéric Thiesse, and Dr. Thorsten Staake. Currently, I am a visiting doctoral student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) working with Prof. Dr. Steven Eppinger. My appointment at MIT and my dissertation will be finished in May 2013.
My research focuses on the design, development, and implementation of large-scale and cost-effective information systems that provide users with real-time feedback on their energy consumption using computers, tables, and/or smartphones. We introduced an innovative web-portal developed to motivate several thousand household consumers of a major Swiss utility company to reduce their energy consumption. In several field experiments, I assessed the impacts of the web-portal, in particular its personalization and reward functionality, on the households’ energy consumption.
Together with Prof. Eppinger, we conducted a field-based case study about product design for environmental sustainability at the furniture manufacturer Herman Miller and summarized our findings in a chapter of his book "Product Design and Development". We are currently investigating new methods regarding the design of services.
Together with five colleagues from ETH Zurich and the University of St. Gallen (HSG), we founded the startup BEN Energy in 2011. BEN Energy provides utility companies with smart grid and smart meter software. It has currently 15 employees and 10 major Swiss utility companies as customers, such as BKW, Repower, and Swisspower
Energy and IT
I investigate novel technologies, such as smart grid and smart meters, and their application to increase energy efficiency and the usage of renewable energy. From 2011 to 2012, I co-led the smart meter impact assessment for Switzerland under the authority of the Swiss Federal Office of Energy. The impact assessment analyzed the current Swiss energy sector (including resources, infrastructure, stakeholders, and markets) and evaluated future infrastructure investments of $1B. I co-presented its results to the senior management of the Swiss Federal Office of Energy, Swiss and European government officials, utility companies, interest groups, and journalists.
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich)
- 2010-2013*: Doctor of Science ETH in Management, Technology, and Economics (Chair of Information Management)
- 2008-2010: Master of Science ETH in Management, Technology, and Economics (honors) (D-MTEC)
- 2004-2008: Bachelor of Science ETH in Environmental Engineering (D-BAUG)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Scholarships and awards
- Medal of Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich) for an outstanding master’s thesis (top 1%) (05/2011)
- Fellowship for Prospective Researchers by the Swiss National Science Foundation (10/2012 – 05/2013)
- BEN Energy AG awarded as “TOP 100 - The Best Swiss Startups 2012“ by Startup.ch
- BEN Energy AG nominated as a finalist of the “Swiss ICT Newcomer Award 2011“ (11/2011)
I published my early work as a doctoral student at conferences in the area of information systems. My recent work includes two papers that are currently submitted for review. The papers under review are not available on this website. Please send me a message if you would like to receive a copy.
- Baeriswyl, M., Staake, T., Fleisch, E. 2012. Motivating energy-efficient behavior with information systems: An empirical investigation of digital awards. Under review (2012).
- Baeriswyl, M., Staake, T., Thiesse, F. 2012. Using digital games to identify user preferences: An empirical investigation. In preparation for submission (2012).
- Baeriswyl, M., Przepiorka, W., Staake, T. 2011. Identifying individuals’ preferences using games: A field experiment in promoting sustainable energy consumption. Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Shanghai, China. (PDF)
- Baeriswyl, M., Staake, T., Loock, C. 2011. The effects of user identity and sanctions in online communities on real-world behavior. Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Shanghai, China. (PDF)
- Baeriswyl, M., Eppinger, S. 2011. Teaching design for environment in product design classes. Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED), Copenhagen, Denmark. (PDF)
- Baeriswyl, M., Loock, C., Staake, T. 2011. “Greater expectations” The role of initial rating in designing feedback to promote energy conservation. Behavior, Energy, and Climate Change Conference (BECC), Washington D.C., USA.
- Graml, T., Loock, C., Baeriswyl, M., Staake, T. 2011. Improving residential energy consumption at large using persuasive systems. Proceedings of the 19th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), Helsinki, Finland. (PDF)
- Loock, C., Graml, T., Baeriswyl, M., Staake, T. 2011. How to motivate energy efficiency online. Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Management of Technology, Florida, USA. (PDF)
- Loock, C., Baeriswyl, M., Graml, T., Staake, T. 2011. Incentives and the overjustification effect in promoting sustainable energy consumption. Behavior, Energy, and Climate Change Conference (BECC), Washington D.C., USA.
- Loock, C., Baeriswyl, M., Graml, T., Staake, T. 2011. The closer the better: The role of proximity in reference groups in motivating sustainable energy consumption. Behavior, Energy, and Climate Change Conference (BECC), Washington D.C., USA.
- Parts of my master's thesis were published as the twelfth chapter "Design for Environment" in
- Ulrich, K.T., Eppinger, S. 2012. Product Design and Development (5th Edition), McGraw-Hill, New York
- Baeriswyl, M., Müller, A., Rigassi, R., Rissi, C., Solenthaler, S., Staake, T., Weisskopf, T. 2012. Smart Metering Impact Assessment for Switzerland. (“Folgeabschätzung einer Einführung von Smart Metering im Zusammenhang mit Smart Grids in der Schweiz“). Swiss Federal Office of Energy (BFE), Bern, Switzerland. (PDF)
- Baeriswyl, M., Eppinger, S. 2013. The Design of Services: A Zipcar case study. Working Paper.
Non-peer reviewed publications
- Staake, T., Graml, T., Baeriswyl, M., Loock, C. 2011. „Mit verhaltenswissenschaftlichen Konzepten zum erfolgreichen Kundenportal“. Bulletin des Verbands Schweizerischer Elektrizitätsunternehmen (VSE).
- Staake, T., Graml, T., Baeriswyl, M., Loock, C. 2011. „Durch Online-Interaktion Kunden für Energiedienstleistungen begeistern“. Zeitschrift für Energie, Markt, Wettbewerb.
- Leveraging social interactions to raise consumer awareness of energy consumption. April 27, 2012. Energy Frontiers, Energy Science Center, ETH Zurich, Switzerland.
- Smart metering impact assessment for Switzerland. May 15, 2012. iHome Lab, Lucerne University of Applied Science, Switzerland.
- Smart metering and related applied science. November 15, 2011. Going local - Meeting of the EU Directorate General Information Society and Media, Bern, Switzerland.
- Teaching design for environment in product development classes. August 16, 2011. 18th International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED), Copenhagen, Denmark.
- „Impact Assessment Smart Metering im Zusammenhang mit Smart Grids in der Schweiz“ (engl. smart meter impact assessment for Switzerland). June 5, 2012. Swiss Federal Office of Energy, ETH Zurich, Switzerland.
- The design of an energy-efficiency mailing campaign. June 13, 2012. BKW FMB AG Workshop, Bern, Switzerland.
- „Impact Assessment Smart Metering in Zusammenhang mit Smart Grids“ (engl. smart meter impact assessment in the content of smart grids). April 3, 2012, Swiss Federal Office of Energy, Bern, Switzerland.
- The design of smart energy feedback. February 21, 2011. BKW FMB AG Workshop, Bern, Switzerland.
- ICT for behavior change. January 21, 2011. Swisscom Smart Energy Workshop, Zurich, Switzerland.
- ICT for sustainable energy consumption. August 20, 2010. Swisscom Competence Center, Zurich, Switzerland.
- ICT for customer segmentation. July 7, 2010. BKW FMB AG Workshop, Bern, Switzerland.
Media coverage of projects, reports, and publications
- Schweizer Tagesschau (2012.06.06) - Energie-Studie: Intelligente Stromzähler zahlen sich aus >>
- Neue Zürcher Zeitung (2012.06.06) - Intelligente Stromzähler zahlen sich aus >>
- Le Temps (2012.06.06) - L'EPFZ prône le changement des compteurs électriques en Suisse >>
- Neue Zürcher Zeitung (2011.10.14) - Stromkunden und Stromfirmen zum Sparen verführen >>
- 20 Minuten (2011.10.14) - Beim Stromsparen hilft der Nachbar >>
- Tagesanzeiger, Bund, Basler Zeitung (2011.09.21) - Unter dem Druck der Nachbarn >>
- SonntagsZeitung (2011.09.18) - Die BKW hilft Strom sparen >>